Comfort Shows: F.R.I.E.N.D.S.
My comfort shows have kept me sane through most of this year, last year and several years if I’m being honest. It’s a tough year especially in my home country and finding time to disconnect from reality is almost impossible but there’s a quick exit with comfort shows for me.
I’m pretty
sensitive when it comes to matters of reality. I know a lot of people do not
have the privilege of just tuning things out and that in itself makes me feel
guilty about going offline for long periods of time and smiling through life.
However, I have to do what I can to stay sane. Disconnecting and finding
something to make me giggle goes a very long way.
It’s important
to note that I like laughing and anything that will make me cry happy tears so
I stay on a lot of comedy. I make sure I tell this to everyone who tries to recommend
a movie or TV show to me since I can’t sit through much else.
One of my all time favorite shows that has also recently shaken the world one more time with a reunion. That show is F.R.I.E.N.D.S.
When I first started the show, I was living vicariously through the characters since I didn’t have a friend group I could be open with and experience different stages of life with. Then, I ended the show understanding how important it is to live outside your bubble and see things from another perspective. It also shared the sacrifices you’ll end up making to keep the people you love happy.
I know they’re
all fictional characters but they spoke to me in unique ways and they expose
some things I see in my friends too. I’m not saying my friends are exactly like
these characters but the beauty is in how different they are. There are 6 main
characters; Monica, Chandler, Rachel, Joey, Phoebe and Ross.
Monica’s
need to always be in control resonated with a part of me I try to hide. I like
being the hostess and watching everyone enjoy things I put together. I may not
be as Type A as she was (and she was really really Type A 😄) but I understand her need to always be in control of a
situation since nobody can do certain things for you as excellently as you can
do them for yourself. She really went out of her way to do things for her
friends even if it meant putting herself on the line. I mean, she housed Rachael
and gave her friends temporary gigs when they were either looking for jobs are pretending
to need a job so she could fire them and look cool in front of her junior
workers. She had her faults but when you weigh it against her good deeds, she
was an awesome friend.
Chandler’s
dry sarcasm is one I identify with strongly because it’s a better approach than
facing your real life problems or giving a straight answer. I could never stop
cringing at his behavior in social circles because that is me all the way. I’m
a lot better now since I try to keep my mouth shut unless I’m absolutely comfortable
with where I am.
Phoebe just
being in the clouds but roughing it through life is me living through whatever
you people want to call this simulation. It’s hard to picture the Smelly Cat crooner
having a rough background and a terrible relationship with her own twin with how positive
and giddy she can be. She is definitely one of my best characters on that show
because she knew how to be a little unserious with life, be direct and remain
genuine.
Rachael really
went from being a spoiled brat to being the spoiled friend who would look out
for everyone when the need would come up. She definitely had her quirks and
moments that would irritate me but she was so thoughtful most times. She was a
big crier and I hate that I can relate because I cry over every single thing.
Joey would
eat anything in his path but he was a genuine friend. He could keep a secret and
he would go out of his way to make his friends happy even if it meant holding
up a phone throughout a wedding so Phoebe could listen in. He was a real one.
Ross… Ross
is Ross. I don’t know how to define him but the group would be incomplete without
him.
There are
other parts of the show I love but it’s almost impossible to share everything here
and also talk about the side characters that I fell in love with.
I’ve seen F.R.I.E.N.D.S at least 5 times from start to finish and I still get excited every time. It's a good show and a brilliant escape.
If you’re
looking for a show to try out, you should go for it. You’ll probably understand
a lot of the pop culture references derived from the show and have a good laugh along the way.
It’s a 10/10
show.
What are some of your comfort shows?




Amazing read. Friends is a really great show 10/10
ReplyDeleteI’ve been seeing a lot of Korean shows recently and some of them remind me that I actually have a life outside work.
ReplyDeleteI’m trying to hangout with my friends more (started this weekend), and I cried when I had an altercation with a bike man on Friday. I hope it all gets better
Seen friends 3 times now... Nice series...
ReplyDeleteLet me recommend The Big Bang Theory. Top Notch series.
Oh I've seen TBBT a few times. I love them all especially Sheldon (everyone's favorite).
Delete