Can You Keep A Secret?

Given the option of being told a secret or not,  I would not like to be told a secret. Some secrets make me so physically sick until I say something or until it all comes out.

I’m like Joey from FRIENDS who couldn’t hold in the secret of Chandler and Monica dating (sorry if I’m spoiling it for you but it’s been over a decade. Get on it).

I do not mind keeping quiet about a really nice surprise like a birthday because I know there’s going to be a good reaction at the end. Surprises and putting surprises like that together makes me very giddy on the inside but actual secrets are very volatile and they could eventually be messy and that makes me uncomfortable.

My biggest issue with keeping secrets is the fact that I could accidentally let it out and someone could say something that could hurt another person. Some secrets are not even told to you and you just happen to come across them but you have to choose whether you want to address it or keep quiet about it.

When someone trusts you with a secret, you have to keep it a secret unless someone’s safety and well being is concerned. If you’re trusted with a really serious secret, just make it your responsibility to keep quiet about it even if you end up having a falling out with said person.

Unfortunately for me, a lot of people think I’m the best person to talk to and tell secrets mainly because I listen a lot but I think I’m such a great secret keeper because I tend to forget a lot of things almost as soon as I hear them. If I forget, there’s a low chance of me even sharing it and even when I remember, it’s not my place to share it so I pay very little attention. If a secret is going to hurt someone or affect something negatively, I usually ask people to keep it away from me or I’m singing like a canary to someone I feel can handle it.

If I can’t keep a secret, I usually ask not to be told or be involved. I learned that from one of my very close girlfriends. She tells people off the jump not to tell her any secrets or trust her with sensitive information because she will scatter everything. I respect that so much better than wanting to get the information and then telling other people to share this tea.

Recently, someone told me a secret and I don’t remember most of the details so I’m hoping he doesn’t want to address it any time soon. Sorry.

Comments

  1. I am happy every one knows that i am terrible at keeping secrets. So they don’t bother me the such

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re the one I was referring to. You don’t like having to keep secrets 😂

      Delete
  2. I can relate to this so bad, I forget secrets immediately I'm told, and when it gets out, and the person with the secret confronts me about telling it, I get really confused cos most times I'd be like "you didn't even tell me this stuff, what are you talking about, this is news to me!"����

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts