Does sharing really help?

I don't like complaining or venting about personal issues but today, I had a chance to and I regret nothing.

My morning started pretty regularly. I got up before my alarm went off and just stayed in bed till I was ready to be around humans. It was a little sunny today after raining all of yesterday so I took the chance to do some laundry.

While the laundry was handling itself, I took to fixing breakfast or rather eating whatever my mum put together which was ekpang nkukwo (food reserved for superhumans like me).

My day was pretty uneventful till I got a call to hang out with my friend. I hadn’t done that in a while so I was excited to just go see the face of someone that isn't directly related to me or living with me. I put away everything and headed out. He was already waiting for me there and after a quick hello, we settled for lunch and we talked.

My energy was initially very low because it’s been a rough couple of days but I was eventually able to loosen up enough to laugh, vent, share my frustrations, embarrassing moments, and most of the shame I had been feeling. I also had the chance to listen to him share everything he was feeling and he gave a lot of solid advice.

I’ve always believed happiness and success aren't something everyone will experience and these days, I feel like I fall into that category and I shared that with my friend. One thing I truly appreciate is the fact that he didn’t shut me down or shout me down with positive affirmations. Instead, he asked me questions to know why I've been feeling that way and listened to me answer them. He said as long as I work towards something, I’ll always find joy even in the smallest things. He also encouraged me to share my thoughts and feelings once in a while instead of cooping them up.

I’m not quick to share everything I’m feeling because I believe everybody has better things they’d rather be doing and a lot of people have it way worse than I do but that’s a terrible way to think. My feelings (good or bad) are very valid.

After saying goodbye, it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders and I could breathe. I spent the rest of my evening researching, reading and just relaxing.

I’ve learned it's okay to share with trusted people from time to time instead of holding it all in and waiting for the dam to break.

We all need that sometimes.

Comments

  1. Sharing is always great with the right person/people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yh, key words “right people”

      because sharing important stuff with the wrong people will only make things worse.

      Now the question is how will you know the right people?

      Delete
  2. Yes we do need that sometimes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially with people that will listen and care genuinely. Thank you for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts