The Reward for Hard Work is... More Work?
Diary,
They don’t really prepare you for what happens when you become the “go-to” person at work. One day, I was figuring things out quietly from my little HR corner then suddenly, my phone wouldn’t stop ringing, my name was in emails and every meeting invite, and I somehow became… "important".
Unintentionally important.
At first, it felt like a win. Proof that I was doing something right. Ultimately, it came at a cost.
I found myself constantly switched on, always holding something together. My sleep was lighter, my weekends shorter, my mood heavier. The reward for being efficient, reliable, and detail-oriented was... more responsibility. More eyes on me. More expectations. Oh Chi'm 😫
It started to bleed into everything, my energy, my body, my personal life and most importantly, MY SLEEP! I wasn’t unhappy exactly, just disconnected. I missed me.
Here’s the part I’m proud of: I didn’t let it stay that way.
I started making soft little rebellions against burnout. A solo drink here. A movie night there. A weekend dedicated to absolutely nothing but bed, snacks, and vibes only. I made peace with the fact that I can care deeply about my work and still choose rest, softness, and boundaries.
I’m not where I used to be, and I’m not exactly where I want to be either but I’m somewhere in between, and that feels like growth.
This is your gentle reminder that you can do your job well without losing yourself. That your ambition doesn’t have to cancel out your joy. And that it’s okay if your version of balance looks like a full weekend of bed-rot and sweet nothingness.
Being important doesn’t mean being available all the time and hard work doesn’t mean self-abandonment.
Talk soon!
Debbie 💋

Well written. Well said. Well explained. I will choose me above all else. Enough is enough abeg
ReplyDeleteThank you for choosing you and for reading!
DeleteI learnt a lot from this. I’m proud of you for choosing ‘You’
ReplyDeleteThanks Keeks!
DeleteSomeone has finally said it 👏🏾. That is just life, even outside work. When you become the reliable one in the family it comes with more responsibility and expectations
ReplyDeleteThe family aspect is so real. Thanks for reading!
DeleteYou write so well.
ReplyDeleteReading this creates an imagery and it resonate with me.
Efficiency in one’s job is a matter of self value and introspection. Once you become good at what you do, you become valuable to your firm and it’s always associated with a cost, more assigned duties. And the resultant effect if effectively managed is you become a thorough breed professional.
Managing this aspect of one’s life is the challenge.
Thank you for this insight on how best to navigate this and things to casually do for fun that erase the pain of the arduous deliverables we experienced during work hours.
In summary, work, rest well & enjoy! Problem no dey finish.
It is always associated with a cost! Problem no dey finish fr. Thanks for reading!
Delete