You're Not Hot Akara
As I got older, I realized it became too much to handle with me wanting to just live without paying attention to unnecessary criticism. I've had interactions with people who would complain about one thing that someone else would compliment. I used to bake and I would have feedback of people complaining about a particular flavor and some other people requesting that flavor stays on the menu because they loved it so much. That's just cake now imagine that about my life. I have no problem with criticism that actually helps but I noticed a lot of what I would get was what I was perceived to be doing wrong but nothing about what would correct it. I used to get this a lot from older people which ended up just irritating me as I grew older and made my patience for people so thin when they would come at me funny.
I believe the best way to live is to pick a couple of people who truly matter and want the best for you. Those are the kind of people that'll tell you the truth and allow you to express yourself as you need to. Also, when criticism comes around, look out for the part that will build you up or serve as a helpful tip. If it isn't there, throw the insult masking as criticism in the dustbin as well the person who says it. I'm serious. Lift the person and dump them in the bin with their opinions.
Unrelated but I spent most of my day running around Lagos mainland to obtain original copies of certain documents and I was shocked at how polite a lot of the workers were. I was ready for them to drag me by my waist-length braids but they were so polite and helpful. I thought things were getting better then I passed by Yaba and got called an ashewo for refusing to buy from a trader. That's more like the Lagos I know.

Put the person in the bin?
ReplyDeleteWhat if i can't carry the person? 😁😁
Pay me. I’ll carry the person for you 😂
ReplyDeleteI used to care but not anymore. Like you stated it's all talk with no ways of improvement. Lots of people are in the bin now sha 😁😁
ReplyDeleteAs they should be!
DeleteYou are who you define yourself to be.
ReplyDeleteNice one
Reminds me of a story that helped me develop a thick skin for such rough people. I started thinking of myself as wood, and those unnecessarily critical of me as the sandpaper.
ReplyDeleteIn the end, the wood gets smoother and ready for polish, but the sandpaper is used up and lays waste.
Feedback still remains a gift anyways.
Great job you're doing here, pls forgive those Yaba guys😏
This is such a beautiful way to put it. They're sandpaper and they smoothen us out. I'm adopting this.
Deletei use to care alot about what people, especially my friends says about me
ReplyDeleteor feel about me
but now, i’m so overwhelmed by my life issues that i don’t even have the time to listen to trash talk from friends
You should definitely focus on yourself and real friends don't do that. Thank you for reading!
DeleteUsed to have low self esteem about myself but u right.. You never can please everyone, just do you
ReplyDeleteWow!
ReplyDeleteReading this its deep but most people are not aware of who they really are.
I was once a victim. Always trying to please people, being timid, always trying not to be criticised because i want to be perfect in their eyes.
But hey!! You cannot please everyone.
Nope! Its not possible, i feel alot of People should find out who they really are and what they want for themselves.
Thanks a lot dear for sharing.
����✌